Kartoffelkuchen – German Potato Cake
Ingredients for dough Ingredients for Potato cake part
320 – 350g flour (or less) 500g cooked potato
50g sugar Melted butter
80g Unsalted butter Sugar
Pinch salt Cinnamon
Grated lemon rind (optional
75 – 100ml milk
15 – 20g yeast
1. Warm the milk slightly and combine with the yeast.
2. Mix all the dough ingredients together – kneading well.
3. Form the dough into a ball and place it in a warm place to grow for up to 60minutes.
4. Mash the cooked potato until no lumps are present and then mix into the dough until well blended.
5. Roll the mixture out until approximately 1 ½ - 2cm high.
6. Put the mixture on an oven tray on top of baking paper
7. Brush with melted butter
8. Top with sugar and cinnamon to taste.
9. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes in a pre-heated oven set to 200 – 225 ⁰C (NOT FAN). Julian says that when it is getting slightly brown – it’s done.
Julian says it is also nice if you leave out the potato from the dough, roll it out and top with fruit eg apples or plums.
Make a crumble by combining butter, sugar and flour and then spread on top before baking.